IT’S OVER — UNITED STAR TOLD TO FIND A NEW CLUB
In a bombshell development at Old Trafford, Manchester United head coach Michael Carrick has reportedly informed a key first-team defender that he is no longer part of his long-term plans due to persistent injury issues. The revelation has sent ripples of concern through the club’s supporters as the 2025/26 Premier League season draws to a close.
According to well-placed sources within the Manchester United dressing room, Carrick delivered the frank message to the player ahead of Sunday’s final Premier League fixture against Brighton & Hove Albion at the Amex Stadium.
“Our last game against Brighton will be his final game for the club. Due to his injury concerns, he is not part of my plans anymore,” Carrick reportedly told the player in a private meeting, emphasizing the need for squad reliability heading into the 2026/27 campaign, which will include Champions League football.
The player at the center of this story is widely understood to be Dutch international centre-back Matthijs de Ligt, who has battled a significant lower back injury that has sidelined him for much of the season. De Ligt underwent surgery earlier this year in an attempt to resolve the issue, but concerns over his long-term fitness have reportedly forced Carrick’s hand.
The Context: A Season of Transition Under Carrick
Michael Carrick’s appointment as permanent head coach in May 2026 marked a new chapter for Manchester United following a turbulent period. After taking over as interim boss in January 2026, the former United midfielder steered the team from mid-table mediocrity to a strong third-place finish, securing a return to the Champions League. His calm, possession-based approach has earned praise, but it has also highlighted the need for a durable, reliable squad capable of handling the demands of domestic and European competition.
With a two-year contract now in place (plus an option for a further year), Carrick is said to be prioritizing players who can consistently feature across a gruelling 50+ game season. Persistent injury problems have become a major frustration for the coaching staff, and de Ligt’s case appears to have reached a breaking point.
De Ligt’s United Journey: High Hopes Derailed by Injury
Matthijs de Ligt arrived at Manchester United in the summer of 2024 with a formidable reputation. Having captained Ajax at a young age and starred for Juventus, the 26-year-old (turning 27 in August) was viewed as the ideal modern centre-back — composed on the ball, dominant in the air, and tactically astute.
His early performances in a United shirt justified the significant transfer fee. De Ligt formed promising partnerships with the likes of Harry Maguire and Lisandro Martínez, contributing to several clean sheets during the 2024/25 campaign. Fans quickly warmed to his leadership qualities and no-nonsense defending.
However, the 2025/26 season has been a nightmare for the Dutchman. A lower back problem first flared up in November 2025, forcing him to miss the reverse fixture against Crystal Palace. Despite initial optimism and rehabilitation work, the issue persisted. He underwent corrective surgery in April 2026, with the club initially hopeful of a pre-season return.
Instead, de Ligt has been restricted to limited training sessions and has not featured in matchday squads since late 2025. His absence has been keenly felt, particularly in United’s defensive transitions. The team has occasionally looked vulnerable at the back, relying heavily on rotations and younger or less experienced options.
Medical experts consulted by the club have reportedly expressed doubts about de Ligt’s ability to withstand the physical rigours of Premier League football on a consistent basis moving forward. At his age, recurring back issues can become career-defining challenges, often leading to reduced mobility and increased risk of further complications.
Carrick’s Ruthless Pragmatism
Those familiar with Carrick’s coaching philosophy describe him as measured but decisive. Unlike some previous managers who may have persisted with big-name players out of sentiment, the 44-year-old is focused on building a squad tailored for success.
“Michael has been clear from day one — availability is the new currency at this club,” a source close to the coaching staff revealed. “We cannot afford passengers, no matter how talented they are. The schedule next season will be relentless.”
The timing of the conversation — just days before the final match of the season — suggests Carrick wanted to handle the matter personally and give the player a dignified send-off on the pitch if selected. Whether de Ligt starts or features as a substitute against Brighton remains to be seen, but it could mark the end of his United career.
Potential Destinations and Financial Implications
Should de Ligt depart, several clubs are likely to show interest. Serie A sides, where he previously thrived, could offer a return to familiarity. Juventus have been linked with a sensational homecoming, while clubs in Germany and even the Saudi Pro League may monitor his situation closely due to his profile.
Financially, the move could prove beneficial for United. De Ligt’s wages are substantial, and offloading him would free up funds for Carrick to strengthen other areas of the squad — particularly in midfield and attack, where depth remains a concern despite the improved league position.
However, selling a player who has barely featured this season may result in a significant loss on the original transfer investment. Negotiations could be complex, with potential add-ons or structured payments to mitigate risk for the buying club.
Fan Reactions: Shock, Sadness, and Acceptance
The news has provoked a mixed response among Manchester United supporters. Many took to social media expressing sympathy for de Ligt, acknowledging his quality when fit.
“One of the most naturally gifted defenders we’ve had in years, but luck with injuries just hasn’t been on his side,” one fan commented.
Others support Carrick’s tough stance: “Harsh but necessary. We need players who can play 40+ games. Can’t keep carrying long-term injuries.”
There is also frustration directed at the club’s past recruitment, with some questioning how medical assessments failed to flag potential long-term vulnerabilities during the initial signing process.
Broader Squad Implications
De Ligt’s potential exit would leave United with questions at centre-back. While Maguire has enjoyed something of a renaissance and Martínez remains a key figure when available, depth is thin. Young talents and possible summer signings will need to step up.
This decision also signals Carrick’s intent to reshape the squad aggressively this summer. With Champions League football secured, expectations will be higher than ever. The manager is believed to be targeting reliable, high-availability players who align with his vision of controlled, technical football.
Injuries have plagued United for several seasons now — from Luke Shaw’s recurring issues to Mason Mount’s stop-start campaigns. Carrick’s reported stance on de Ligt may indicate a zero-tolerance policy moving forward.
What Next for De Ligt?
For Matthijs de Ligt himself, this represents a pivotal moment in his career. Still relatively young, he has time to rebuild elsewhere and prove his fitness. A fresh start could reignite his international prospects with the Netherlands ahead of major tournaments.
In recent interviews, de Ligt has spoken about his love for the game and determination to overcome setbacks. “Injuries are part of football,” he once said. “The mental side is the biggest battle.”
Whether he gets the chance to say goodbye to the Old Trafford faithful remains uncertain, but a final appearance at Brighton could provide a fitting, if bittersweet, conclusion to his United chapter.
A Club in Flux
As Manchester United prepare for their final game of a season that began with uncertainty and ended with renewed optimism, this latest revelation underscores the harsh realities of modern elite football. Talent alone is no longer enough — durability and consistency are paramount.
Michael Carrick has made his position clear. The club’s hierarchy appears aligned with his vision, and the summer transfer window will be critical in executing it.
For one talented defender, the journey at Manchester United appears to be ending. For the club, it marks another step towards building a squad capable of challenging at the very top once again.
The full story continues to develop, with fans eagerly awaiting official confirmation and any potential transfer updates in the coming weeks.