May 24, 2026
IMG_3559

In a development that has rocked Manchester United supporters to the core, another high-profile departure appears to be on the horizon at Old Trafford. Just months after securing a long-awaited return to the UEFA Champions League, the club is facing fresh turmoil as one of its marquee summer 2025 signings has reportedly decided to call time on his United career after only one season.

According to multiple sources close to the player, Slovenia international striker Benjamin Šeško has informed the club of his intention to seek a new challenge elsewhere. The 23-year-old, who arrived from RB Leipzig in a deal worth around £73.7 million last summer, was expected to form the cornerstone of Ruben Amorim’s (and later Michael Carrick’s) attacking rebuild. Now, those hopes are crumbling amid growing dissatisfaction. 

The bombshell revelation comes at a delicate moment. Manchester United finished third in the Premier League and clinched Champions League qualification with a dramatic 3-2 victory over Liverpool earlier this month. Many viewed this as the start of a genuine revival under new leadership. Yet Šeško’s reported comments paint a picture of frustration behind the scenes.

“Having qualified for the Champions League they have been chasing for years, my chapter at Manchester United has now officially come to an end,” the player is said to have told confidants. “I just hope the fans understand that I have already tried my best.”

The Rise and Rapid Fall of the Šeško Experiment

When Benjamin Šeško touched down at Manchester Airport in August 2025, excitement was palpable. At 6ft 5in with blistering pace, clinical finishing, and aerial dominance, the Slovenian was billed as the perfect modern No.9 to lead United’s charge. He joined alongside fellow big-money arrivals like Matheus Cunha from Wolves, Bryan Mbeumo from Brentford, and others in what was supposed to be a transformative window. 

In his debut season, Šeško showed flashes of brilliance. He netted 14 goals across all competitions, including crucial strikes in the Premier League and a memorable brace against Arsenal. His partnership with Cunha and Mbeumo occasionally sparkled, particularly in counter-attacking transitions favored by the coaching staff.

However, consistency proved elusive. Persistent questions about his hold-up play, link-up with midfielders like Bruno Fernandes, and adaptation to the physical demands of English football lingered. Injuries also disrupted his rhythm, limiting him to just 28 starts in the league. Sources suggest that while the club qualified for Europe’s elite competition, internal targets for silverware — such as a deep Europa League or domestic cup run — fell short, leaving the young forward disillusioned.

Reports indicate Šeško is now prioritizing moves to clubs where immediate major trophy contention is more realistic. Top European sides, including Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, and Paris Saint-Germain, have been monitoring his situation closely. The player is believed to feel that, despite Champions League football, United remain several steps away from challenging Manchester City or Arsenal for the Premier League title.

Inside the Dressing Room: Growing Unrest?

This potential exit adds to a growing sense of instability at Old Trafford. The 2025/26 campaign saw significant upheaval: Ruben Amorim’s tenure ended mid-season amid poor results, paving the way for Michael Carrick to steady the ship. While Carrick delivered Champions League qualification, the transition has reportedly left several players uncertain about the long-term project.

Šeško is not the first to express doubts. Earlier murmurs surrounded other summer arrivals and established stars regarding squad direction, playing style, and ambitions. Insiders claim the Slovenian forward felt the supporting cast around him lacked the quality needed for sustained success at the highest level.

A source close to the player told reporters: “Benjamin gave everything. He loves the fans and the history of the club, but he’s 23 with his prime years ahead. He wants to be winning league titles and Champions League trophies now, not in three or four years of rebuilding.”

United fans, already emotional after a rollercoaster season, have reacted with a mix of anger, sadness, and understanding. Social media platforms exploded with messages ranging from “We can’t keep losing our best talents” to “If he doesn’t want to fight for the badge, let him go.” Hashtags like #ThankYouSesko and #UnitedRebuild trended within hours.

Tactical and Financial Implications

Šeško’s departure would represent a major financial and tactical headache. United invested heavily in him as their long-term striker solution. Selling him now — potentially for a similar or slightly higher fee — could provide funds for new signings, but it would also signal another failed big-money gamble following previous missteps with players like Antony and Jadon Sancho.

Tactically, his exit would force Carrick (or whoever leads the team next) to rethink the attack. Cunha and Mbeumo have performed admirably, but neither possesses Šeško’s unique physical profile. The club may need to accelerate plans for another centre-forward, with names like Victor Osimhen or Dusan Vlahovic already linked in early rumors. 

Financially, the deal could help ease pressure on United’s books, especially with ongoing squad restructuring. However, losing a player of Šeško’s potential so quickly risks damaging the club’s reputation in the transfer market. Future targets may question the stability of the project.

Fan Perspectives and Club Response

Manchester United supporters have grown weary of the cycle of big signings followed by swift exits. The club’s storied history of developing loyalty contrasts sharply with the modern reality of player power and agent-driven moves.

One lifelong fan from the Stretford End voiced a common sentiment: “We finally get back into the Champions League and this happens. It feels like we take one step forward and two back. But I get it — players want trophies. The board and coaches need to show they can build a winning team, not just a competitive one.”

The club has yet to issue an official statement, but sources suggest discussions are ongoing. United are expected to hold firm on any valuation while exploring options. Šeško still has several years left on his contract, giving the club leverage, though a forced sale is unlikely to benefit either party.

Michael Carrick, praised for stabilizing the ship, faces another challenge in maintaining squad harmony. His focus remains on pre-season preparations and integrating returning players, but this saga threatens to overshadow positive momentum.

Broader Context: Manchester United’s Ongoing Rebuild

This reported departure highlights the bigger picture at Manchester United. Since the INEOS investment and structural changes, the club has pursued a data-driven, youth-focused approach mixed with targeted experience. Results have been mixed: Champions League football is back, but consistent contention for major honors remains elusive.

The 2026 summer transfer window looms large. With potential incomings in midfield and defense already under discussion, an outgoing like Šeško could reshape priorities. The club must convince remaining stars — and attract new ones — that Old Trafford offers a genuine path to glory, not just participation.

For Benjamin Šeško, the decision marks the end of a brief but memorable chapter. Whether he departs for immediate success or risks regret remains to be seen. For Manchester United, it serves as another reminder that rebuilding a giant is never straightforward.

As the summer heats up, all eyes will be on Old Trafford. Can the club retain its core and push forward, or will more key figures follow Šeško out the door? The coming weeks will be critical in defining the next era of this historic club.

Fans are urged to stay tuned as more details emerge from what promises to be one of the most dramatic transfer windows in recent United history.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *